Tuesday, May 17, 2011

old lens

I had my sigma dc 17-70 2.8-4.5 idling ever since I switched from cropped frame canon 20d to full-frame 5d. I theoretically knew that nothing terrible will happen if I put it on fullframe camera, but something always stopped me.

Now when I switched to the newer version of 5D, I finally felt brave enough to try and see what happened. And what happened is that I liked the results. my only complain is that the circle of invisibility (or whatever the technical term is) is not full. It can be helped to a degree with Photoshop.

Looking at it now, I’d say I should have used two different pictures to form the full circle.

More practically, the lens is macro, and even if you deduce the useless black space, it still gives a bigger object size pixel-wise than my current main 24-105 L. Below is 100% crop. It was sharpened a bit during processing, but then save-for-web ate some of it, so what you see is pretty much out-of-camera

All the pink flowers above are sainfoins (Onobrychis viciifolia), growing by Sawston bypass — local reference for those locals that are interested.

No reason for producing an image below at all, except I happened to press ctrl-i :)

More sainfoin pics at Shutterstock

No comments: