Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Fuerteventura, traditional post of November

So far, this is probably my favorite kite ever. It was there all these years, I think. I even have it on the cover screen of my laptop. Looks alive, doesn’t it? Like a sandworm, except harmless and beautiful
This November, as every November over the last few years, I flew to Fuerteventura to see the kites flying. I am not sure if the magic of the event works on everybody, but is certainly works on me — the white sand of the dunes, the volcanoes, the proximity of the ocean, and huge colorful objects suspended in the air, casting their shadows — it is all very Dalí-esque, surreal and beautiful.



On my way over I wanted to photograph the shiny ocean surface under the plane and the shadows of the clouds. Somehow the combination of my polarizing filter and windows of the plane, probably also polarizing, produced nice rainbow effect on the surface of the ocean. I didn’t even see it while looking through the viewfinder and only noticed it later on in the preview.


Rainbow ocean surrounded Punta de Jandia peninsula and its little lighthouse. Two German guys sitting behind me got very excited about it, repeating “Spitze!” a few times, one of the very few German words I know, sort of.

Images of sea from a plane on shutterstock

These one looks newer than my old fav, and is probably as big, but it is less colorful. If I was a kite-maker I would always, always introduce oranges and reds into the design for maximum contrast with the sky.
I arrived at about ten, so I was in the dunes by eleven, with many kites already in the air and many more in process of being lifted. I didn’t see anything conceptually new this year, but of course I was not there all the time, so I might have missed it.

That is not to say there weren’t any new kites.

Lotsa sharks again
Like the crocodile, he looks very serene. Plus it reminds me of old, still Soviet, army joke. *
Now, same as last year, I’ve noticed a big problem with parking. Arriving at eleven on Saturday I was able to find a spot quite close to Burro beach, but when I was leaving for El Cotillo about 1 pm, every single parking spot almost up to RIU hotels was taken, which means that the arriving people had to walk at least a kilometre along the road or on the sand. Or go and park in Corralejo and take a taxi from there. And once again I didn’t notice any special arrangements being made for bringing people from/to Corralejo in shuttle buses, which would be a logical special public transport service. I imagine it even be quite profitable for the municipality, and of course it would remove at least some of the cars from the road. So, anyhow, if you go by car, arrive early or prepare to walk.

Kite festival images on shutterstock

Paradise. Flag Beach, view towards Isla de Lobos. Look a the lace of foam on the water, over white sand. Fuerteventura has the most beautiful beaches of all places I know.
After seeing the kites, I pulled out of my spot, leaving it for somebody who looked very hot and bothered. I think they must have already made a few passes before finding somebody — me, that is — who was ready to go finally. I drove just a little bit along the road, past the hotels, to the Flag Beach, which used to be out favorite beach on Fuerte. It is as beautiful as ever, but also, I felt, more cramped than it used to be. Maybe Fuerteventura is getting more popular. On one hand, it is good for the island, or so they say. I just hope it doesn’t get too crowded and lose its relaxed and free feel.

Pics of Flag Beach (my, there are even sparkler art images there, forgot all about them) and Grandes Playas on shutterstock.


After that I went to El Cotillo and on to Faro del Toston lighthouse to do some crystal ball photos. The sea was really rough and the tide was high, so there was no chance of sand rippled by water, but there always is the next time.

Between my first ever crystal ball shoot and now I somehow managed to forget about the sun-focusing effect. No, I didn’t start any fires, it’s kinda hard on the rocky surface, but I very nearly gave my palm a severe burn with the hot sun of Fuerteventura.

Toston Lighthouse images on shutterstock


In the picture above, of the windmill in El Roque close to El Cotillo, you can see from the direction of the light that the sun was going down, so there was no danger of burning the surface the ball was on. The area around the windmill was prettified over the last few years, although some of the horrible wire fencing still remains.

El Roque windmill images on shutterstock

After I finished all my planned photo shoots there was very little time left. Yes, I didn’t plan very well, unfortunately.

I only had time to drop in to Luca Canteri’s place to say hello and to look at his latest masterpiece. We warned you his beautiful guitars will get noticed and, consequently, more difficult to get, didn’t we. Well, you were warned. Good news is he continues to make them so you still have a chance :)

Anyway, it was a great day. Looking forward to my next visit to the island.

--------------
*“Comrade Sergeant, do crocodiles fly?”
“What? Who told you this bullshit?”
“Comrade Colonel.”
“Ah, Comrade Colonel?! Actually, they do fly, but really, really low.”

No comments: